Thursday 29 May 2008

She's Nude!!!


OK so this is what Audrey looked like for the last few weeks. I decided to take her apart completely, but soon found that stubborn rust and crazy attachments meant that I didn't have the tools necessary to take everything off. Especially the handlebars and fork gave me huge problems. Never fear though, the solution came to me yesterday - the wrench-master 4000. Well I don't know what it's real name is, but it's fantastic. It's a ginormous wrench with good teeth so it can get purchase on about anything. It also doubles as a hammer. Nice.

These are the parts of the handlebars and fork after myself and Hugh eventually managed to beat it into it's individual parts.


And this is me with the indecently naked frame, wielding the wrench-master itself. I've started sanding the main frame now in preparation for priming. Note the tiny silver patch towards the front of the bike? Great eh? Only around 500 more hours of sanding to go...

1 comment:

John-Paul said...

Hello Margaret,

I found your blog through the Old Bike Blog. Nice work so far on the bike!

For what it's worth, in America the "Wrenchmaster-4000" are known as channel-locks, for reasons that are obvious when you look at how the two halves slot together. It's a plumber's tool primarily, designed to grasp and hold varying lengths of pipes and sleeves. Its adaptability to bicycle tubing you have, clearly, discovered.

I haven't the foggiest what they're called in England. "Channle-lockes?" "Chunnelocks?" "Derby-crumpets?" The mind boggles.